Looking for a fun way to keep the kids entertained? Want to try your hand at a family-friendly DIY project? This tutorial for a Firefly Mason Jar Night Light might be just the thing! This hands-on activity results in a safe, battery-operated night-light housed within an adorably painted mason jar. Not only does this fun craft mimic the glow of evening fireflies, but it’s also handy to use as an indoor/outdoor night light. Read on to learn how to make one for yourself.
You will need:
• Mason jar
• Battery-operated mini LED string lights
• Glow-in-the-dark fabric paint
• Small piece of lacy fabric
• Hot glue gun
1. Begin by cutting out small wings from the lacy fabric. Hot glue them to the backside of each of the lights on the LED string of lights.
2. Apply a drop of glow-in-the-dark paint to the back of each light on top of the wings. Use a hairdryer on low warm heat to aid in speeding up the drying process. Work with a couple of lights at a time to apply the paint and dry.
3. Next, flip over the lights and apply the glow-in-the-dark paint to the front of the bulbs using the same process like the back. Allow the lights to dry completely before assembling the jar.
4. Decorate the outside of the Mason jar. With the glow-in-the-dark paints, we added some grass at the base. Try adding some swirls, dots, or even a moon to the jar. Set it aside to dry.
5. Once the light strand is dry and if the battery fits in the lid of the jar, hot glue it into the jar's lid with the switch facing out. (Battery changes are easy. Peel the case from the dried hot glue lid. Replace the batteries and re-hot glue it into place.) If the battery doesn’t fit, feel free to simply place it into the bottom of the jar.
6. Wait for nightfall and enjoy it! This Mason jar light adds the perfect touch to evening gatherings, relaxing on the porch or drifting off to sleep as the sounds of summer fill the nighttime air.
It’s not unfair for us to say that living at Parmer Place Apartments in Austin, Texas is the best! To further improve your daily routine, here are some lifestyle-enhancing tips that will help you revamp your normal way-of-life in a variety of ways.